Tanzania Trip Preparation
Visa & Entry Requirements
A PASSPORT and VISA are required for U.S. citizens and all visitors who are traveling to Tanzania. Your passport should be valid for at least six months past your arrival date. Please make sure you have at least 2 blank pages in your passport. Visas are obtainable from Tanzania Embassy in Washington, D.C. Send the following items to the Embassy of Tanzania at least 90 DAYS prior to departure vie Airborne Express, DHL, FedEx or UPS with prepaid return:
- Your valid passport (At least 6 months before expiration).
- Passport photos and supporting documentation to the Embassy of Tanzania in Washington, D.C. Make sure you double check with the Embassy for the fees information.
Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania
1232 22nd St. NW
Washington D.C 20037
TEL: 202-884-1080/ 202-939-6125.
Book flights, tours, accommodations
The general wisdom is that eight weeks prior to travel is the optimal time to book flights. There are plenty of online booking engines that can find cheap flights, but for a complicated itinerary, there are travel agents ready to assist you.
(trip cancellation insurance)
We strongly recommend you to purchase short-term travel insurance immediately after booking the trip. It is extremely important for you to protect your belongings and yourself against baggage loss, delayed baggage, personal injury or death, trip cancellation, interruption or delays, emergency accidents, sickness, and damaged and stolen belongings. Make sure you read and understand your travel insurance policy and what is covered and what is not.
Getting into Tanzania
Northwest / Delta / KLM Airlines
- The best and most convenient way of getting to Tanzania is Kilimanjaro International Airport via Amsterdam on the daily Northwest / Delta / KLM Airlines flight.
- Kilimanjaro International Airport is located between Arusha city and Moshi. Arusha is where all the safaris start and end for all Northern Tanzania safaris. We recommend flying with KLM to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO).
- Other Airports such as Dar Es Salaam (DAR) and Nairobi Kenya (NBO) are far away from Arusha and will require extra travel time and extra expenses. Kilimanjaro International Airport is about a forty five minute drive from Arusha.
- KLM/ Delta/ Northwest Airlines offer daily flights from most major cities in the U.S. to Kilimanjaro International Airport via Amsterdam. For more information, you can easily visit their websites at www.nwa.com , www.delta.com and www.klm.com.
Packing for your Trip
Mount Kilimanjaro is not a technical climb but it is not easy either. It's very important to check with your physician if you have any concerns regarding your health.
Yellow Fever Inoculation Certificate
Tanzania requires proof of a yellow fever vaccination. This vaccination is recommended for all tourists who are traveling to East Africa and is available at most clinics. This vaccination card should be carried with your passport. Make sure to double check with your physician before departure day.
Other vaccinations that are required when you travel to Africa are Hepatitis A & B, Meningitis, Typhoid, and Polio. Make sure you talk to your health care provider for more information. All vaccinations should be given 10 days before travel.
Anti-Malaria Pills are recommended for those traveling to East Africa. You can prevent this disease by seeing your health care provider and obtaining a prescription antimalarial drug against mosquito bites.